SUMMER SHAPE UP

I've been on a mission over the past 3.5 weeks... lose weight and shape up. I've been half attempting this since Summer was born 8 months ago and have lost the majority of pregnancy weight with about 2kg of bubba blubber remaining. I started running again at least 3 times a week when she was 5 weeks old, and I was semi cautious of what I consumed.  However, I just couldn't knock those last few kgs off. To be honest, I didn't really care all that much and it has been really nice enjoying the freedom of not caring. That's not to say I didn't want to look good, wear nice clothes, do my hair, lead a healthy lifestyle and those sorts of things - it's just having a little one, puts what's important in perspective.

Pre-pregnancy I was incredibly strict on myself. I remember an incident a few years back on holiday in Newport Beach, California with Matt. The sun was shining and it was the beginning of the US spring break... it was perfect ice cream weather, and when Matt suggested we get one, I gave a definitive reply of "not for me thanks". He got one anyway, and I remember longingly watching him eat it and really, really wanting one. I don't know why this particular event sticks in my mind, but I always look back and think, "why the heck didn't I just have an ice cream???! I'm on holiday!" It's not to say I didn't eat well, I did, I just steered away from anything I knew to have high fat and sugar content... which, let's face it, is the most fun stuff to eat on the planet!

Anyway, since having Summer I feel I've developed a really nice and enjoyable balance between wanting to look good, and enjoying life. However, that's not to say I don't want to lose those extra kgs... I just don't want to deprive myself in the process. So, a little under a month ago I suddenly got a surge of determination to really get myself in shape for summer... the no stress and non-restrictive way. My fitness was already up to parr, and it seems so obvious, but I needed to start taking a really good look at my diet. I downloaded a fantastic app for my phone called MyFitness Pal and it is SO awesome! In a nutshell, it's a calorie counter, that works out how many calories you need to consume each day to healthily lose weight. You can choose to maintain your weight or set a goal to lose 1 or 2 pound a week based on your age, gender, height, current weight etc. You can also record any exercise you've done in the day, which adds positive calories onto your total (so you can consume more if you want!). It's pretty straight forward, very logical and nothing new really... however, the great thing is it contains almost all NZ foods and brands (so you know it's calculating correctly) and it does all the counting work for you. Check it out www.myfitnesspal.com

Basically, for me, it's opened my eyes and educated me to which foods contain the most calories... and there have certainly been A LOT of surprises! Needless to say, I've since changed a lot in my diet. Things I thought were ok were actually chocka full of calories and I have now found just as yummy substitutes to take their place. I love this app because, if I know I'm going to have some dessert that night or go out for a drink Saturday night, I just eat super healthily to allow for it... which gives me great balance and I don't feel guilty when I do have my 'treat'.

I've continued to run a minimum of 3 days a week, and since implementing the My Fitness Pal calorie counting, I've lost 3kg! I'm so stoked... I've still got a few more kgs to lose to get to my goal weight, but I've been keeping a record of my measurements week-by-week as well as a photo diary (which I may be brave enough to blog later on... maybe).

It is hard at first, but after the first 3 weeks it just becomes a way of life and you start to know what you can have. Just gotta keep sticking to it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment